NEW Online Course — BEYOND THE PURITANICAL: A CROSS CULTURAL PERSPECTIVE FOR PUBLIC SEXUAL HEALTH EDUCATION
By Mark Schoen, Ph.D.
The field of human sexuality places a strong emphasis on therapy and research. Research confirms that education plays an important part in the prevention of HIV/AIDS and teen pregnancy. The lack of public sexual health education in the USA becomes strongly apparent by looking at international health statistics.
American sexual health educators can learn from how other cultures successfully deal with the public education of human sexuality issues.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Public health is the practice of preventing disease and promoting good health within groups of people from small communities to large countries.
Public service announcements (PSAs) and commercials can be some of the most profound and powerful TV advertising for spreading public health information. They deal with life-and-death issues and urge us to think about people. They educate to change our world.
This online course is designed to give participants an opportunity to examine public health commercial messages and PSAs from many cultures. The messages will cover various issues in sexual health including language; nudity; sexual orientation; HIV/AIDS; STIs; condom use; and teen pregnancy. Participants will view twenty-nine (33) commercials/PSAs from twenty-three (24) countries and contrast and compare the HIV and teen pregnancy rates per capita in those countries.
- To become familiar with a wide range of public sexual health TV messages from around the world.
- To become aware of country’s health statistics (HIV/AIDS and teen pregnancy) and compare them to the public health messages provided in that country.
Mark Schoen, Ph.D. is the Founder of SexSmartFilms.com which is an online resource for preserving, archiving and distributing sexual health and information media. He is an AASECT Certified Sexuality Educator and an AASECT approved provider for continuing education. For three years, he served on the National Advisory Council on Sexual Health led by former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. David Satcher. As an award-winning filmmaker and human sexuality expert, he has produced more than 50 sexual health films that have been used in clinical and educational settings for viewing by by students and the general public throughout the United States and abroad. His productions have included projects for SIECUS, The Unitarian Church, and Planned Parenthood. Dr. Schoen won six prestigious Telly Awards as well as other noted film awards for producing and directing in the sexual health field. His film Betty Dodson: Her Life of Sex and Art won the AASECT Best Film Award in 2009 and Best Feature Documentary at FilmOut San Diego, 2008.
The True Story of How Babies are Made is his latest animated short film which received an Honorable Mention from AASECT in 2010.
He received the Distinguished Public Service Award from the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS) and the AASECT Professional Standards of Excellence Award in 2010. Dr. Schoen has been quoted in numerous publications and appeared on many television & radio shows.
He is the author of the award winning children’s book and video Bellybuttons Are Navels.
The registration fee for the course is $50 and includes a one-month subscription to SexSmartFilms.com. Payment is made by credit card. Fees must be paid prior to taking the course.
- Register to the site by entering an email address, user name and password.
- Click “BUY VIEWING PLAN” for our Premiere Videos.
- Check: $50.00 one-month membership (CE CREDITS) Unlimited Views
- Click: BUY NOW
- Please be sure to include:
Daytime phone number
- Click: PURCHASE
To Complete the Course:
- Print the following two Health Statistic Tables:
- Login to SexSmartFilms.com, if you have not done so..
- Go to the Premium page Select “education” from the main menu. Then click on “Advertising/Sexuality” in the subcategory list.
- View the films which are listed by country of origin, title and running time.
- Rate each video using your own criteria from 1 – 5 (with 5 as the best). Check the USA TV box if you feel it would benefit the sexual health of Americans if they had the opportunity to see this spot. Check the USA Edu box if you feel it would be a useful classroom tool.
- Download and save the following Two Charts, as well as the Evaluation Questions. Remember you can right-click (control-click on a Mac) the link and choose “Save Link As… ” to save the document to your computer.
- After completing the chart and evaluation questions, copy and paste them into the body of an email, or attach the files NAMED CLEARLY and send to drmark@SexSmartFilms.com.